International Labour Office UN GenevaThanks the efforts of IFATSEA and SATTA, ATSEP is today a recognised profession under the International Standard Classification of Occupation ILO Paragraph:
Air traffic safety technicians perform technical tasks concerning the design, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of air traffic control and air navigation systems.
- carrying out technical duties related to development work concerning electronic and electromechanical equipment of air navigation systems, and testing prototypes;
- providing technical` help in the design and layout of specific interface circuitry of air navigation and aircraft, detection tracking systems;
- contributing to the preparation of cost. estimates and technical and training specifications for air traffic control and safety equipment;
- assisting with the technical supervision of construction, installation and operation of ground-based air navigation equipment and its maintenance and repair to ensure that standards and recommendations are met;
- applying knowledge of air traffic safety engineering principles and practices in order to identify and solve - problems arising in the course of their work;
- modifying existing ground-based air navigation equipment.to adapt it to new air traffic control procedures;
- controlling and calibrating the groundbased . air navigation instruments to ensure maximum accuracy and safety of flight, take-off and landing. operations;
- performing related tasks;
- supervising other workers.